Monday, July 15, 2013

A tribute to the bold beauty of Bollywood : Jiah Khan


Jiah Khan was born on 20 February 1988 to Ali Rizvi and Rabiya Amin in New York, United States. Born as Nafisa Khan, she grew up in London and studied at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in New York.
She made her first appearance in Bollywood as a child actress in Dil Se. She was 16 years old when she was offered the lead role in Mukesh Bhatt’s Tumsa Nahin Dekha alongside Emraan Hashmi. Jiah declined the role stating that it was too mature for her age. She made her debut in Bollywood as a lead actress with Ram Gopal Varma’s controversial movie, Nishabd alongside Amitabh Bachchan. Though the movie did not perform well at the box office, her performance got rave reviews and her character was tagged as bold and confident. She was also nominated as the Filmfare Best Debutant,
She next appeared in Ghajini alongside Aamir Khan. In a interview Jiah had said, “Aamir told my mother that if I was a part of ‘Ghajini’ it was because of my own achievement and talent. It was the best compliment I have received that too from the best actor of the country – Aamir Khan. What more could I ask for?” Jiah had always feared rejection and when she got through the auditions for Ghajini, she was overwhelmed. She said, “When Aamir and the director told me I was in, I couldn’t believe it! I was in tears and overwhelmed.”
Her next project was Chance Pe Dance alongside Shahid Kapoor, however she was later replaced by Genelia D’ Souza. Her last appearance as an actress was Housefull in 2010. Jiah Khan committed suicide on 3rd June 2013 by hanging herself in her apartment in Juhu.
She had described herself on Twitter as “actor, poet, singer, musician and dreamer.” She will always be remembered as the high spirited, confident girl.
Celebrities who worked with her and knew her took to Twitter to mourn her loss.
Amitabh Bachchan tweeted – “What!!! Jiah Khan ??? what has happened ? is this correct ? unbelievable !!!,”
Ram Gopal Varma tweeted – “The last time I met her jiah told me that everyone around her makes her feel like a failure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment